Historic Lithonia

Lithonia, Georgia, Established 1856

The City of Lithonia traces its beginnings to an area called ‘Cross Roads’ in the early 1840s. There were 100 residents at the intersections of the two roads connecting Decatur and Augusta, as well as Lawrenceville and McDonough. In 1856, the City of Lithonia was established. The city is surrounded by granite and its name is credited to a teacher of Greek combining lithos (stone) and onia (place).

In the weeks and months ahead, our archivist will expand our online historical collection of photographs and documents on Lithonia. (In partnership with The University System of Georgia’s Virtual Vault and The Dekalb History Center.)

Snapshots of Lithonia’s History

Bruce Street School

Flat Rock Historic Church

Main Street

Johnson Granite Company

First Baptist Church

Johnson Granite Company

Lithonia’s Womans Club

Lithonia’s Womans Club